TouchOSC for Android released

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 276

Joined 2010-12-27

PM

Friends of hand-held devices not sporting the omnipresent “i” prefix take note: TouchOSC for Android has been published on the Android Market! And it’s free. Free as in beer.

But careful now, before you get too excited let me put a couple of things straight considering this version. First of all, this port is in no way feature-compatible with the iOS versions at the moment. In particular, without beating around the bush:

- No importing of custom layouts
- No ZeroConf/Bonjour publishing/browsing
- No multi-touch support
- No support for resolutions higher than 320x480
- Some other minor features missing

In brief that means that this version basically represents the feature set that TouchOSC version 1.0 for the iPhone supported when it was first released. Minus the bugs of course. There’s a couple of reasons that led to the decision to release the application in this form. First of all, I didn’t want to make all of you wait any longer. Constructing a full port would have probably taken me another 12 months of trying to play catch-up with the original which is constantly improving. Secondly there seems to be an endless stream of new Android devices coming out every other moment, so testing the more advanced features on every possible configuration is basically impossible. Keeping it lean and simple will probably help in making it work for most of the available gadgets right now.

All that said, I also decided to make the application available for free. There don’t seem to be a lot of (successful) paid applications available on the Android Market right now and from my research the general user-base is also not exactly used to actually pay for apps. The ad-supported model that a lot of developers go with is also something that I wouldn’t even consider at my most delirious. Call me crazy.

Anyway, what it comes down to is that I decided to go with the Donationware model. If you like it and you want me to make it as fully-featured as the iOS version, please consider donating whatever you feel is worth contributing. Also, for testing-purposes, I would be more than happy to accept any kind of Android device you can spare. Hell, if you meet me, shake my hand, buy me a beer/warm glass of milk/classic coca-cola. Just don’t send me any hate-mail please. I am getting enough of that from the “iTribe” (j/k).

Yours truly,
rob.

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-07-22

PM

Hi Rob,

Could you tell us approximatly when do you think you may release (or not?) versions for Android with the following possibiblities (even if you only know it very approximatly) please:
- Editing layouts
- Getting finger “pression” (finger size or area) as it’s available with iPad and other “iXs” (if I understood well)

?

I’d need to know in order to look for something else if you’re not going to do it soon. i would like to use it as a tool for my phd work to control synthesized voice parameters.

Thanks

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-10-16

PM

Hi there,

I’m new to this forum so I hope not to be rude. I wonder if a greater version of the Android app is in developpement. Actually Android devices are a lot and compatibility problems do not seems to be so hard to manage. I understand your point of view but I think we would be a lot to be happy to pay for a better version of this app availaible for our devices.

Sincerely
Sylvain

Rank

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

First, thanks for doing this for Android. Very much appreciated.

So…I really do want to buy this software, or as you call it, donate to use it on my Motorola Xoom tablet, but, to be a little bit more frank than I want to, TouchOSC not in a state where I can see that I have any use of it. I would like to see the possibility to design and import my own, and other’s layouts. It’s more or less a complete showstopper for me. And I guess there are quite many feeling the same way, and therefore not that much interest. Kind of a catch22 I guess, which you amongst other things blame on that Android users don’t want to pay up. To me you might have to do another reality check. The lack of features and functions compared to the i-versions is way too impacting. We’re missing out a lot to not being able to use custom layouts for all the programs and plugins. I’m sure people will buy this if you get it into a user customizable state, with a feeling of more being a tool than just a little utility. And you need to get the word out. Yeah, I guess you already know the story. I just wish you could consider it. How are you otherwise gonna tap the android market of users or money?

Did I say please?

Btw, the Beatmachine layout together with the ‘Scale layouts’ option doesn’t really work on the Xoom. Some part of it is off screen.

Anyway, thanks for listening and good luck with an generally, but not sepcifically in this case, awesome product. :)

[ Edited: 21 October 2011 12:24 PM by Masarin ]
Rank

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

And btw, you’re linking the word “donating” to the Android page of TouchOSC… with no real talk about where to put the donation. Please, at least that should work, shouldn’t it? Maybe I’m wrong, I dunno?

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 276

Joined 2010-12-27

PM

Masarin - 21 October 2011 12:22 PM

Btw, the Beatmachine layout together with the ‘Scale layouts’ option doesn’t really work on the Xoom. Some part of it is off screen.

Could you be so kind and send me a screenshot of that?

Rank

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rob - 21 October 2011 04:24 PM
Masarin - 21 October 2011 12:22 PM

Could you be so kind and send me a screenshot of that?

Sorry. Now I feel a lot more stupid than before. It’s working fine. I thought I had checked the “Scale layouts” box but I hadn’t. Really sorry for that. And sorry if I came across like a semi-jerk above. I guess it was my disappointment about some lack of functionality compared to the iPhone/iPad version. I really like TouchOSC and I hope you will continue to develop it. Thanks! Now where’s the Donation button? :-)

Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2011-05-26

PM

Well, perhaps I’m a bit more patient than Masarin ;-)
But I’m with him on the main points concerning the functionality of the Android version of TouchOSC.
TouchOSC would be the one and only reason for me to buy an Android tablet (iPad is no option for
me). And so the big difference between TouchOSC for iOS (which I’m happily using with an iPod Touch
for quite some time) and Android - especially the missing of custom layout - is the reason not to do it
at the moment.

So I’m eagerly waiting for an update on this and wanted to encourage you, Rob, to further follow
the Android route. I know - as you wrote - that Android is hard to program for, but I’m sure you
will make it ! :-)

And of course I would happily pay for a full-featured Android version !

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-10-16

PM

Upgrade to 1.2 nice work with multitouch. Keep on this good work.