Back to the Future

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 276

Joined 2010-12-27

PM

Today is the day that TouchOSC v1.7 is being released into the wild. So much has happened and months of work have gone into this release and I would sure like to go on and on about it, but I’ll keep it short and sweet right now as I seriously have to go catch up on many many many hours of missed sleep.

First and foremost this release adds support for the much talked about CoreMIDI and Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer ways of communicating with MIDI hard- and software. Back to the future indeed. The TouchOSC Editor has been updated to version 1.5 to account for that fact, and adds a new MIDI properties panel to configure MIDI messages for controls. The default layouts have all been modified, adding MIDI messages to all controls, but if you are upgrading from a previous version, your existing layouts will not be overwritten, so you can download an updated zip file with the new versions.
All downloads here, as usual.

There’s a ton of bug-fixes and little improvements in there too, and whole parts have been re-written from the ground up as well for improved stability and speed. Sadly what didn’t make the cut is a dedicated OSC-to-MIDI bridge for windows users, but it is nearing completion so expect some news on that very soon.

But wait… There’s more!
The site has undergone a major overhaul to prepare it for its future as a much more community-friendly platform. A forum has been added and there is now <drumroll> the first version of a complete TouchOSC documentation available. It’s all brand-new so if you find any broken parts, please report.

Next up will be a library section for TouchOSC layouts and presets, open to all users, but I’ll report back on the status of that after some rest…

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2011-04-26

PM

Great work!

Rank

Joined 2011-04-26

PM

Glad to be one of the first to post, feel like I’m getting away with something. You’ve been busy on some great additions, thanks!

Now, if you could just convince the Cubase folks to welcome OSC into their software like Logic!

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

I can’t believe I did this two days before a show, but I downloaded the newest version of TouchOSC thinking it might run more smoothly or have some cool new features to play with and now none of my previous mappings are working in Arkaos GrandVJ. I installed the 1.7 update and the latest TouchOSC Editor then upgraded to the latest and greatest OS for my iPad…still not working right. I have spent the last several hours troubleshooting this. It will recognize the automatic OSC assignments, but unfortunately not my custom named ones, which is rather important since I have multiple pages that use faders and controls that are identically named so as to have consistent controls between pages. My crossfader is always /crossfader instead of /3/fader/1 or whatever else the automatic assignment wants to give for the page I might be on. I can touch the controls and see that it is indeed sending an OSC signal to the software, but nothing moves. Kinda stressing out so hopefully you may have an idea of a fix to get me by.

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

shado - 27 April 2011 04:08 AM

I can’t believe I did this two days before a show, but I downloaded the newest version of TouchOSC thinking it might run more smoothly or have some cool new features to play with and now none of my previous mappings are working in Arkaos GrandVJ. I installed the 1.7 update and the latest TouchOSC Editor then upgraded to the latest and greatest OS for my iPad…still not working right. I have spent the last several hours troubleshooting this. It will recognize the automatic OSC assignments, but unfortunately not my custom named ones, which is rather important since I have multiple pages that use faders and controls that are identically named so as to have consistent controls between pages. My crossfader is always /crossfader instead of /3/fader/1 or whatever else the automatic assignment wants to give for the page I might be on. I can touch the controls and see that it is indeed sending an OSC signal to the software, but nothing moves. Kinda stressing out so hopefully you may have an idea of a fix to get me by.

I’m on the same boat. 10 pages of controls of which half stopped working.
How do you revert to an older version of TouchOSC?

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2010-12-27

PM

Indeed, I confirmed this, found the cause and submitted a fix. As usual with these things it’s a one-liner and took about 5 secs to fix but sadly it has to go through review again. I am trying to speed up Apple’s review process on this so I hope it won’t take more than a day to get published. Stress on hope.

Anyway, I am trying to figure out a workaround just using the editor (so you don’t have to wait for the updated app), but I am still on it. For now I guess the best solution would be to revert to the old application package.

When iTunes updates an app it moves the older version to the trash. Check if it’s still there, and rescue it by dragging it to somewhere else on your hard-drive. Delete the updated app from within iTunes and drag the restored one into the App section of iTunes. Sync.

If it’s not in the trash anymore, I guess you’ll have to check any backups you have (for example with TimeMachine) to see if you still have the older version. Here’s an article online on how to do this:
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/28/ipad-101-reverting-to-an-older-version-of-an-application/

Sorry for the mess-up. I guess the testers were so intensely focused on the new MIDI support that something this basic slipped by unnoticed.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2010-12-27

PM

I was just informed by Apple that my request for an expedited review was granted. Usually that means that it shouldn’t take longer than 1-2 days to go through.

Sorry again for any inconvenience caused.

Rank

Joined 2011-04-27

PM

I found a fix by making sure the pages have no name and using the automatic feature but actually naming it what it was mapped to before. So now there is two slashes in front of the usual name. Then, I went and remapped everything as quickly as I could. It was still a pain and far from ideal but not the horrible disaster I thought it was going to be. At least everything works again. Thanks for jumping on the problem and I’m sorry for the panic. It’s just hard for me to not project panic when I’m feeling it! I might hold off on the new update, since it may mean redoing all the stuff I just did smile

Rank

Joined 2011-04-28

PM

hi

is it me or the XY PAD is messed up ?
only Y is received by logic (using core midi over wifi)
i’ve checked many times, everything seems to be set up properly….

everything else works perfect

thanks !

——

my bad. found a fix : make a separate fader for X, use it when doing midi learn. works then

[ Edited: 28 April 2011 09:43 AM by flurp ]
Rank

Joined 2011-04-29

PM

Rob you are the best man, it’s like you were reading my mind, all my best wishes regarding TouchOSC, only one thing remains, I wish there was an index in the editor for “labels”, when receiving MIDI messages, to select “words” depending on MIDI value received… thanks a lot man, great update…

Rank

Joined 2011-04-30

PM

I just had the auto mapping thing happen to me as well on my Ipad after I synced it to the editor.  Does this have the same effect on the I phone / I touch? I haven’t synced them yet. I need to make some changes to the layout but I don’t want t loose the custom mapping on those devices too.
Thanks
Jason

Rank

Joined 2011-05-03

PM

Congrats on the great look of the site!

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2010-12-27

PM

Jason - 30 April 2011 03:06 PM

I just had the auto mapping thing happen to me as well on my Ipad after I synced it to the editor.  Does this have the same effect on the I phone / I touch? I haven’t synced them yet. I need to make some changes to the layout but I don’t want t loose the custom mapping on those devices too.
Thanks
Jason

Jason, it’s all about the version of the TouchOSC app you’re running, nothing to do with the editor. Not sure what you mean by “Sync” but you could just put the updated version of a layout onto a device running the old TouchOSC 1.6.4 and it should be fine. Just to be sure, please backup your layouts first.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2010-12-27

PM

TouchOSC v1.7.1 is out, fixing the issue with custom OSC addresses. LiveControl, The Missing Link, Twisted Tools and other layouts/setups should be all fine again. Please update!

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2011-05-14

PM

rob,

I just signed in, after been playing with some random games on my iPAD 1 for 1 month I have today started what I really wanted to do with it: control Traktor Pro with my own TouchOSC layout.

I didn’t know however that I would have not translate OSC mesage with puredata anymore and I’m very hapy because of it.

I want to thanks all your efforts in making this revolucionary app. Please don’t stop to updating with all those great features and please don’t close your range just for iOS, make your adroid app as good as iOS so all people can have a chance to try it and develop great experimental things :D

We are really changing the world of music here!

Greetings from Brazil!
Vinícius Hoffmann